inspired by random and some not-so-random events and people in my life

Sunday, November 27, 2005

On Thin Ice

A 44-year old man and his 9-year old daughter died on an ice-skating trip at a small pond in Cedar Grove, Wisconsin. She fell through the ice and he fell in while trying to rescue her. The snow was falling.

"There is no such thing as safe ice.” – Sheriff’s Deputy Jim Opgenorth

And yet I choose to skate
Believing as Emerson did
That safety is in the speed.
Faster and faster I go
Till it all becomes a blur.
The snow falls -
A blanket of prettiness
Obscures what cautionary signs there are.
I wrap myself
In a cocoon of falsehoods
Blithely ignoring impending doom
Till I fall through, with a crash.

5 Comments:

Blogger k said...

i am going to try ice-skating this winter in London, if my friend can get the tickets. i hope i don't fall through. but of course, we're all standing on thin ice :)

2:30 AM

 
Blogger blobbes said...

actually literal ice-skating leaves me cold lol. have fun!

9:19 AM

 
Blogger blobbes said...

I forgot to add that skating on thin ice seems to be an arien predilection, IMHO.

10:21 AM

 
Blogger k said...

aries just need to bump their head to feel the pain to be convinced that they should not have done that in the first place. :)

7:39 PM

 
Blogger blobbes said...

I think I'm a bit ci dun lol... as far as physical pain goes, I'm a coward through and through. But when it comes to affairs of the heart, I'm a sucker for punishment.

2:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home